The Mayor/Manager form of government in Lewisville designates the mayor as the figurehead of government, who presides at City Council meetings, but has no vote except in the case of a tie, in which he casts the deciding vote. The Mayor serves a 3 year term of office, and is paid only $100 per month plus expense reimbursements.
Note that if a current councilman wants to run for mayor, their declaration counts as a resignation from their Council seat, which will go up to special election. The Mayor and Councilmen in Lewisville serve until their successor is sworn in.
This race has some signifigance to Lewisville due to the fact the Lewisville, the largest city within the Lewisville Independent School District, does not currently have any of its citizens serving on the board. Candidate Kevin Davis would be the only candidate from Lewisville. Hopefully we will get time to cover this race in more detail.
There are no referendums scheduled on the ballot this year in Lewisville, but voters will also vote in the Lewisville Independent School Board Election.
Election Day Voting
Election Day is May 9th, from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. On election day, you must vote in your designated precinct polling location only.
Election-Day Polling Locations - Lewisville City Hall (Precincts 113, 114, 138, 221, 224, and 309) - Lewisville Municipal Annex (Precincts 300, 308, 310, 311, and 324) - Memorial Park Recreation Center (Precincts 301, 305, 312, 315, 318, 319, 321, 4705, 4707, 4708 and 4709) Your precinct # is printed on your voter card
In either of the races, if there are no candidates with at least a 50% + 1 majority, then the top two candidates in that race will face each other in a runoff election on June 13th.
Qualifications to Run For Lewisville City Council or Mayor
Statutory: In order to run for office as either Mayor or Councilman, you must be a qualified voter who has lived in Lewisville for at least one year, and you may not be in arrears on any taxes or other obligations to the city.
Preferable: (in our humble opinion) Here are a few things you might want to consider as pluses for either position:
- You listen more than you talk.
- You are mature, and have been around the block a few times.
- You have worked in a position of leadership or management before.
- You are able to analyze complex situations and develop opinions by drawing on your own experience and that of others who have been in your shoes before.
- You are not firmly fixed in your opinions, changing your view of the situation to fit your philosophy, rather able to change your opinion based on observation of the facts.
- You have lived in Lewisville for years.
- You have regular contact with a cross-section of the diverse population of our city, and you are able to connect with their varying needs and see their specific neighborhood problems.
- You are able to communicate well, in English - both in the written and spoken word.
- You are able to explain and articulate your position even to those who disagree with you.
- You are able to listen to and get along with others who do not share your point of view on all issues.
- You are familiar with the operations of the city and its various departments.
- You are willing to ask tough questions of the City Manager and his staff, requiring them to justify and quantify their recommendations, and provide appropriate research before you make your decisions.
- (In the case of Mayor:) You can be a good ambassador of the City, attending various events almost non-stop.
- (In the case of Mayor:) You can run a tight Council meeting in accordance with the city charter and Robert's rules.
Right Winger Gorena to possibly run for city council or Mayor
The Lewisville Leader is running a story that quotes John Gorena as saying he might run for city council or Mayor.
In the article he lists his website as Gorena.com. But if you really want to see what this ultra-rightwing crazy is about, go to Gorena.org
Be sure to scroll halfway down the page and watch his video via Glenn Beck called The Obama National Anthem. The first few words of the 'anthem' are "All Hail the Messiah" and it goes downhill from there. Nice way to respect the office of President. Is this what we want in our Lewisville mayor????
Scroll a little further to see how he advocates for a Second American Revolution. Nice! Anarchy in the streets--yeah, he'll be a great mayor all right!!
And of course there's the usual Hispanic-hating in the guise of being against "illegal aliens."
This clown already lost a previous run for city council. Let's make sure he gets to repeat the experience.
Re: Right Winger Gorena to possibly run for city council ...
Now that Gorena's name is out there with the Lewisville Leader story, I will say that I spoke to Mr. Gorena last Wednesday, and he is considering running for the council seat.
Regarding the "Hispanic-hating": While I personally find it hard to understand how someone can spend so much energy on the one topic of immigration, I don't think its so much a matter of "Hispanic Hating". Gorena is Hispanic. I think maybe it's more of a class thing.
I will also say that aside from Gorena shooting me when I was in Citizen's Police Academy, and occasionally heckling me at Council meetings, on a personal level he really seems like a decent guy. I just don't think I could ever vote for him, knowing that he would drag our city through that whole immigration debate again.
I wish Congress would put a ton of money in the Stimulus Plan for border and immigration enforcement. Then the issue would become a moot point for our city.