OK lets start with a review! Ok?
The First Ten Amendments of the US Constitution are collectively called the Bill of Rights.
1. Gives us freedom of religion, freedom of the Press and free speech and the and rite to assemble and petition the our government for redress of grievances.
2. The right to bear arms and form a militia
3. The right to refuse quarter to armed forces in our home
4. The protection against unreasonable search and seizure, No warrants shall be issued with out probable cause affirmed by oath and description of the place, person and things to be searched or seized
5. The protection against self- incrimination, of due process of law, and protection against double jeopardy, and the protection of seizure of private property ( eminent domain)
6. The right to a trial by a Jury of your peers, to be informed of the charges against you, and the right to confront your accusers and witnesses against you, and to be represented by council
7. The right to a jury trial
8. Protection against cruel and unusual punishment, and the excessive bail
9. Protects rites that we all understand but are not enumerated with in these amendments
10. The right of the states to Govern themselves, and power of the people
Why do I bring this up? Well for one very good reason. This week the Bush administration with the help of the House and senate have taken yet more of these rights away. Is this a surprise? Well no, the Bush administration has worked very hard at reducing the rights of the people and increasing the power of the executive throughout his term. Now are senate has passed Bush’s Eavesdropping bill, and Bush has signed it. Your government now has the right to listen in on any call you make and many of your Emails. This has of course been done for your protection, to stop another 9/11 from happening. Wake Up America is dying!!!
Our For fathers put forth a new idea when they formed this republic. They believed in us, in the ability of the people to govern themselves. They formed a government for, of and bye the people. Not even the great Egyptians or Romans ever had that. This new government also set forth with the First ten Amendments rights of it’s people. These are the freedoms we talk about when we say “ Land of the Free and Home of the Brave” . And we are lets these rights be taken away one by one. Today we lose the right to be protected against unreasonable search, what will we lose tomorrow? The right to due process? The rite of freedom of religion? You reading this, and me who is typing it, this is our fault, we have let this happen. Yes George Bush had a responsibly to not sign that bill yesterday, it is his job to protect the Bill of Rights. But it is our job first. We The People!! Remember, that’s you and I. We are all letting the dream of a government of, for and by the people die. We talk about spreading democracy around the world, while we let our own Republic be lost. Why? Because we are afraid? I would argue that the people of this country had much more to fear from the most powerful military the world had ever seen when they formed this country then we will ever have to fear from a terrorist group. As the saying goes, “ When your sacrifice freedom for security, you have neither” I hope all of you will make redress with your congress people and senators about his issue. Lets try to save these freedoms if not for our selves then for our children. “God Bless America”