|Re: Open Enrollment: LISD's MacGuffin|
Poster: WhosPlayin Posted: 2012/7/8 21:30:44
It's a tricky thing to pull off, because you run the risk of having parents move their children on the basis of things like demographics (race, ethnicity, and economic status) or a surrogate like some of the (mostly useless) accountability ratings.
I don't know for sure what the current policy is at LISD, but off the top of my head, I could support a parent being able to move a child if they one or more of the below criteria:
- A certain course is not offered in the zoned school and is offered elsewhere
- A class schedule doesn't work out in the zoned school
- The child is a victim of bullying, and desires to transfer
- The child or parents have incompatibility with staff and are not at fault
- The child lives closer to another school than to their zoned school, and there is room at the other school in that grade level.
- A parent is a school district employee, and the child will attend the school where their parent is working
In addition to the above, you might have some certain small percentage of wildcard spots, awarded on a lottery basis, and available only for schools with adequate space for each given grade level.