Update - 11:02 a.m.: A Tornado Watch has been issued for 35 counties in North Central Texas, including Denton County until 6 p.m. today. This means that conditions are favorable for the possible development of tornadoes. If you are going to be outdoors today, have plans at all times to get to shelter quickly if needed. Make sure that you have a means of staying informed of the situation with the weather. Stay tuned.
Original Post: Today will bring yet another round of thunderstorms and unwelcome rains to add to our flood situation in North Texas.
According to the National Weather Service, storms should enter our area after 1 p.m. Large hail, damaging winds, and even tornadoes are possible. There is already a tornado warning at this hour for an area just west of Abilene, where a line of storms is building up and heading our way.
Denton County is at high risk for floods due to saturated soil, swollen creeks and rivers, and full lakes. We are under a flash flood watch. In recent days, there have been numerous reports of cars getting washed away after attempting to drive through water. There was even a rescue in Lewisville on Saturday night.
Update - 8:17 p.m.: We've had some technical difficulties attaching images to the map we posted. For photos, please see our Facebook Album.
Previous update: Here's a Google Map we made of this morning's damage:
You can click the markers for more detail. I'll be adding photos to these markers as I can.
Update - 2:45 p.m. There is a tornado warning for northeastern Denton County right now.
We spent the last couple hours walking around Old Town and taking a look at the damage. We'll have a writeup and more photos in just a bit. It's going to take some time.
Lewisville Lake continues to rise, and is now at 525.87 feet. It has risen over a foot today.
Update - 12:08 p.m.: The National Weather Service just issued another severe thunderstorm warning for the northwestern part of Denton County, which does not include Lewisville. I pass it along, because this is nearby, and over our watershed.
Update - 11:53 a.m.: Mill Street Diner is damaged, and the power is out there. Blurry photos posted on Facebook showed a hole in the building that would appear to be from an impact. We'll try to get a better photo in a bit. In the mean time, these folks are going to lose their food if we can't find them a gas-powered generator. If you own one, and would be willing to lend it, please contact me: email@example.com, and I'll put you in touch.
Update - 11:33 a.m.: Here is the National Weather Service radar-based rainfall estimate from Friday afternoon until almost 11 a.m. today. As you can see, rainfall amounts in Denton County range from 1 - 5 inches. Lewisville is in the 1 - 3 inch range. The National Weather Service has issued numerous flood warnings, which seem to come with increasing frequency. We should just say that if you are driving near creeks and streams, use caution, and please do not try to cross running water. If you live in a low-lying area, be prepared to move if waters rise. Stay tuned...
Update - 11:25 a.m.: As of 10:20, Lewisville Lake had climbed up to 525.5 feet, which is 3.5 feet into its 10 foot flood pool. This level is HIGHER than before they started releasing massing amounts of water last weekend. At the moment, the Corps of Engineers reports that Lewisville dam is releasing 3,803 cubic feet per second. The Elm Fork Trinity River near SH 121 is running about 3,970 CFS.
Update - 10:50 a.m.: The storms continue. Most Counties in North Texas are part of a tornado watch that is set to last until 9 p.m. tonight.
Krause's Auto Shop appears to have partially collapsed, and Metric Motors Automotive, is missing its roof, and has also apparently partially collapsed.
Here are photos by Russ Sims:
Update - 10:15 a.m.: The Lewisville Office of Emergency Management tweeted two photos of an auto repair shop damaged in Old Town. (Photos via Lewisville Office of Emergency Management)
Update - 10:05 a.m.: TNMP says there are about 320 customers in Lewisville without power that they know of.
Update - 10:00 a.m.: TNMP followed up to say that some restoration crews are currently working on fixing the outage. "Please keep in mind that lineman safety will come first and, if conditions dictate, we’ll delay restoration efforts to keep them safe," he said. "However, once it’s safe, they’ll be on it." He also noted that since lightning and wind were still around, there is a possibility for more outages.
Update - 9:50 a.m.: We just spoke with a representative from Texas New Mexico Power, who said they are now currently aware of 16 outages in Lewisville, the largest of which affects 88 customers. He said that many of the outages affect only one or two homes. At the moment, there is no restoration time estimated, because crews are waiting for the lightning to stop. Once it becomes safe to work on restoration, crews will begin restoring power, prioritizing the outages that affect the largest number of customers. Again, do not assume that TNMP knows about your specific outage. Call TNMP at 1-888-866-7456 to report your outage.
Update - 9:30 a.m.: Lt. Butterworth with the Lewisville Police Department confirmed that PD still has not had any reports of injuries. He said that most of the structural damage reported so far was east of Mill street. He said there were some downed power poles and lines, and that a car lot down that way had an awning blown off. We did have a reader near Central Elementary School report that they had a power loss, but police and TNMP seem not to be aware of any power outages. If you have lost power, please do not assume that someone else has called it in. Call TNMP at 1-888-866-7456 to report your outage.
Update - 9:00 a.m.: Lewisville first responders are busy assessing a swath of damage that seems to have stretched from the area of the Braums at Fox and I-35, down through the neighborhoods around Central Elementary, near Mill Street Cafe, the McKenzie Hembry Neighborhood, and Purnell street, down through Railroad St.
Fire Chief Tim Tittle says there are not any injuries yet reported with this storm. Tittle said at this time it is unknown whether the damage was from straight-line winds, or tornadic activity. Numerous trees could be seen down and blocking roadways. TNMP and Atmos were out assisting with electric and gas utilities.
Mill street was closed between High School, and a few blocks south of there as emergency crews worked around downed power lines. It appeared that the roofs of some buildings in the area right around Mill Street Cafe had peeled off and at least one section wrapped around a power line and pulled it down.
A tree was in the middle of Purnell Street by the bus barn.
This flagpole at Renaissance Village was knocked over.
Original Post: This morning at 6:41 a.m., the National Weather Service issued a tornado warning until 7:15 a.m., based on radar-indicated rotation seen near Grapevine.
At our house, I woke up to loud bangs, and what sounded like something hitting the side of our house. Seconds later, the phone rang with a tornado warning message from City of Lewisville Emergency Management. Storm sirens sounded, and we set about waking up the kids to get them ready to take shelter.
Although the tornado warning has been cancelled now, we are still under a severe thunderstorm warning until 7:45 a.m.
At this time, we have not yet heard any damage reports. We'll be checking in, and would like to hear from you if you had any damage in your part of town.
Update: 5/8/2015, 2:05 p.m.: The National Weather Service has issued an areal flood warning for Denton and Collin Counties. Law enforcement personnel have reported that numerous roads across the county are still closed due to floodwaters from rains that occurred Thursday night.
Excessive runoff from heavy rainfall will continue to cause flooding of small creeks and streams, as well as farm and country roads. Do not attempt to travel across a flooded road. Turn around, don't drown!
Friday, 5/8/2015, 1:15 p.m.: The National Weather Service has issued a Tornado Watch for Denton County effective until 9 p.m. This means that conditions are favorable for severe weather that could include tornadoes. If you are going to be outside this afternoon or this evening, make sure that you have a way to obtain weather information, and that you have plans for a safe place to go in case the weather turns bad. If you are going to the Keeping Tradition Alive Pipes and Drums jam at Lewisville City Hall, city staff have already announced that City Hall will be available for shelter if the need arises.
Here is the National Weather Service statement about severe weather tonight: "More severe weather is expected today across North Texas. Scattered showers and thunderstorms may develop as early as late this morning with more robust thunderstorm development later this afternoon and evening. The greatest threat for severe weather is from Comanche to DFW to Gainesville late this afternoon and evening. Severe thunderstorms will be capable of producing large hail...damaging winds and tornadoes. Flash flooding will also be possible through this evening across all of North Texas."
Today in Lewisville, we have a 40% chance of showers or thunderstorms, mainly after 3 p.m. The high should reach about 78. Tonight, rain chances increase to about 60%, with some storms possibly severe.
Via the National Weather Service in Fort Worth:
Scattered to numerous strong to severe thunderstorms are expected to develop across central texas during the mid to late afternoon hours. Additional strong to severe storms will develop this evening north of Interstate 20. Before moving southeast across those areas primarily east of Interstate 35 and North of I-20 during the overnight hours.
Severe weather hazards will include very large hail, damaging winds, and frequent lightning. A few tornadoes are possible, especially with thunderstorms that remain discrete. Heavy rain and damaging winds will become the main threat overnight. As a severe storm complex moves southeast across areas mainly east of interstate 35 and north of Interstate 20. A localized Flash Flood thread may occur across these areas as well during the overnight hours.
Here is the video outlook for Wednesday - Friday (produced Tuesday afternoon):
Stay tuned to local media throughout the day for updates as the situation develops. We will provide updates here and via our Facebook page or Twitter as we get them.
Update: 9:20 a.m.: The National Weather Service has upgraded the flood advisory to a warning for Denton County. Avoid low-lying areas.
Original Post: FLOOD ADVISORY FOR DENTON COUNTY - The National Weather Service has issued a flood advisory for Denton County. As of 8:32 a.m. doppler radar indicated heavy rain due to thunderstorms, with one to two inches of rainfall expected over the next few hours. NWS thinks this could cause minor flooding in the advisory area, especially on roadways and in poor-drainage areas. Please use caution, and remember: Turn around, don't drown! Don't drive through moving water across roadways, as it only takes a small depth to sweep a car away.
We have had some beautiful sunny days recently, but it looks like an upper-level low will bring rain into the region Tuesday night through Wednesday, and more rain is expected Thursday through the weekend.
Here's the latest National Weather Service update: "An upper level low that is over Mexican state of Chihuahua (southwest of the Big Bend) will move northeast across West Texas tonight and into eastern Oklahoma by Wednesday Night. This system will bring a good chance of rain to the region overnight tonight through Wednesday. Another upper level low that is currently off the coast of Baja California will move slowly east bringing rain chances to Texas Thursday through the weekend."
For Tuesday night, it's a 60 percent chance of rain, with isolated thunderstorms. Wednesday there is a 20% chance of showers, with highs in the lower 70s. Thursday night, showers are likely with rain chances at 60%. Rain chances remain in the forecast through Saturday.
The National Weather Service has an update on tonight's winter storm:
"Radar shows the upper level disturbance that will bring the main round of mixed wintry precipitation is now moving through West Texas. This system will move rapidly northeast during the next few hours with conditions deteriorating across North Central Texas during the evening and overnight hours. At this time, it appears that the highest accumulation of sleet and snow with amounts of 2 to 3 inches will set up in a band roughly from Comanche to Cleburne to Terrell to Sulphur Springs. Just outside of this band an inch of sleet and snow is likely as well. Thus the highest amounts are expected to impact the southeastern parts of the greater DFW Metroplex and may stay just north of the Waco/Temple/Killeen areas. We will continue to monitor trends in this winter storm during the next several hours and will update you as the event unfolds."
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning for Wednesday, March 4th, at 3 p.m. to Thursday, March 5th, 12:00 p.m.. The advisory is for numerous North Texas Counties, including Denton, Tarrant, Dallas, and Collin. We think the impacts will probably start after 4 p.m. for Lewisville.
This morning, the forecast calls for rain, with high temperatures in the upper 40s. Temperatures fall through the day, and frozen precipitation begins in the afternoon when temps are in the low 30s. Temps bottom out in the mid to upper 20s tonight. Precipitation chances are near 100%. Winds are from the North, increasing through the day to 15-20 mph.
Accumulations of 1/10 to 1/4 inch of ice are possible, then 2 - 4 inches of sleet and snow. Hazardous travel conditions are expected.
Here is a National Weather Service update from Wednesday Morning regarding timing: A round of rain will accompany the passage of a cold front today, moving into East Texas this evening. Late this afternoon, an area of freezing and sleet will approach from the west. Thunder may accompany the sleet showers, dramatically increasing amounts in some locations. The heaviest activity will impact the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex mid to late evening. Snow will be possible behind the heaviest activity before the precipitation tapers off. Total accumulations of ice, sleet, and snow are expected to exceed 2 inches in areas northwest of the Metroplex, with generally under an inch of accumulation southeast of Dallas/Fort Worth.
The following are National Weather Service statements on timing and impact: (From Tuesday) An arctic front will sweep across the region on Wednesday and a wintry mix is expected across the area Wednesday afternoon through Thursday morning. Showers and thunderstorms are expected ahead of and immediately behind the cold front with a change over to a mix of freezing rain and sleet occurring several hours behind the front. This graphic depicts our best estimate of when the wintry mix will begin in each highlighted area. We will continue to refine the timing of the transition over the next 18 hours so check back for updates. The wintry mix will continue into the overnight hours; ending Thursday morning.
A strong cold front is expected to move southeast across North and Central Texas tomorrow. As cold air continues to build in, precipitation is expected to develop well behind the front. As rain continues with cold air getting deeper through Wednesday and into Wednesday night, rain is expected to change over to freezing rain, and then sleet. A brief change over to snow is possible before precipitation comes to an end Thursday morning.
The heaviest amounts of ice and sleet are expected to fall in the purple regions in the graphic, including areas southeast of a line from Breckenridge to Sherman, but northwest of a line from Hamilton to Sulphur Springs. Hazardous driving conditions are expected to develop in these areas Wednesday night into Thursday morning.
For locations shaded in yellow, impacts are expected for most locations, however the amount of sleet and ice accumulations are expected to be less than in the purple areas, and therefore the impacts to roads are expected to be slightly less hazardous.
For locations shaded in blue, impacts are expected to remain localized in nature, mainly due to warmer ground temperatures. Impacts here are most likely to be relegated to bridges and overpasses, and this includes locations generally along and southeast of a line from Cameron to Palestine. In general these impacts represent a shift to the northwest of where the greatest impacts were expected to occur yesterday at this time.
Here is the latest from the National Weather Service on weather over the next few days.
Today: Cloudy and cool conditions will continue today with high temperatures ranging from the upper 30s near the Red River to the upper 40s over the southern and southeastern counties. Rain chances will increase from northwest to southeast across the region. The forecast for us calls for a 30% chance of rain with a high around 40 and winds from 5 to 10mph.
Tuesday: Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming partly sunny. A 40 percent chance of showers. Warmer. Highs in the mid 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Tuesday Night will be mostly cloudy with showers likely and isolated thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 30s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.
Wednesday: A strong cold front will move through the region on Tuesday night and Wednesday. Showers and thunderstorms are expected Tuesday and Tuesday night ahead of the front, but the rain will transition to a wintry mix of snow and sleet behind the front. A wintry mix will be possible Wednesday through Thursday morning with accumulations of sleet and/or snow expected, but we do not know how much yet. Keep up with the forecast for the latest on the type of wintry mix expected, timing, and amounts.